The Horn and Whistle Board

It's all about air horns and steam whistles!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ship Horn Signals - what do they mean ?? thanks guys
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:29 pm 

Good morning eveyone, just discovered your site, looks fantastic. I live in Melbourne, Australia just near a busy shipping port. I often hear ships horns blown in different combinations. Can hear one now - ten short blasts in a row. Can any one tell me where i can find a list of what the different signals are and what they mean. Also are they international or do they vary from country to country. Thanks guys, Regards, Branko

Post subject: Re: Ship Horn Signals - what do they mean ?? thanks guys
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:17 pm 

Branko: That is an interesting question and one that I thought would be easy to find the answer to. I Googled the poop out of the subject and this is the best I could find:
"SHIP’S HORN IN CLOSE PROXIMITY:
In close proximity, here are the meanings of the Ship’s Horn:
One short blast means 'I am changing course to starboard.'
Two short blasts mean 'I am changing course to port.'
Three short blasts mean 'I am operating astern.'
Two prolonged blasts followed by one short blast to mean 'I intend to overtake you on your starboard side';
Two prolonged blasts followed by two short blasts to mean 'I intend to over-take you on your port side.'
A long blast every two minutes is used when operating in fog."
I don't know if this is worldwide.
I think the ten short blasts means "I have Parkinson's Disease and my finger is stuck on the button." Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:45 pm 
Site Admin with his Tyfon 425

Those rules are quoted right from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) 1972 COLREGS (Collision Avoidance at Sea Regulations). What you have quoted are the standard, international navigational whistle signals.

For the signals you have quoted, "short" and "prolonged" blasts also have specific meaning.

The term "short blast" means a blast of about one second's duration.
The term "prolonged blast" means a blast from four to six seconds' duration.

In addition, a vessel being overtaken is expected to reply with one prolonged, one short, one prolonged and one short blast, in that order.

Additionally:

- When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle. Such signal may be supplemented by at least five short and rapid flashes.

- A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one prolonged blast. Such signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction.

There are a lot more whistle signals for fog and reduced visibility, distress, etc. If you want to be the expect, read the full colregs here: http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow ... lregs.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:02 pm 
Board Supporter

Here is a site I have found with graphics that speak for themselves.
I am sorry, it's in French, I advise you the use of AltaVista.com for translation.

http://wg054.lerelaisinternet.com/Cours/activites.htm

Its purpose is trainning to the examination for the french "maritime licence".
This is certainly in compliance with IMO specifications.

I hope you will find this usefull.

Raoul

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bighornshunter

Ship Horns, Cornes de Brume, Schiffshorns, Scheepshoorns, рожочок корабля, Horns of all Countries, Unite!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:49 am 

One thing to remember, the bigger the ship, the louder,lower pitch the horn. Little tugs sound almost funny after having a 300 foot cargo ship honk at ya. However, a little tug will crush you just as fast and as dead as a big cargo ship. As far as the "Five Short Rapid Blasts", Don't quibble about the length of the blast, nor the speed at which they come. If you hear five blasts in succession, move! If you're unsure of what they sound like, come out to St. Helens during the week when there are hoglines galore and sit on the dock behind the courthouse. You can plunk for gators and listen to boats go by.