Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/shipho5/public_html/hwb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 884: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 884: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
The Horn and Whistle Board • View topic - A couple of recordings K-5LAR24 and RS-5TRRO

The Horn and Whistle Board

It's all about air horns and steam whistles!
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A couple of recordings K-5LAR24 and RS-5TRRO
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm 

Here are a couple of recordings from today. I recently purchased a Graham-White valve. I bored and decided to record (Ha! That rhymes!) Mr. Green Anyways! Forgive the odd sequence, the valve is a little hard to work.

First up is my 90's K-5LA with the 2 and 4A bells reversed. The 5 bell is standard bore and the whole horn is bare aluminum glass bead finish. I do not know what the heritage of the horn is. It had black paint on it when I got it, but It was not original.

Second, my 1981 RS-5TRRO. The 44 and 55 bells are reversed. The horn is of L&N/Seaboard heritage. It wears a worn coat of CSX YN1.

Notes: I used a 12 gallon surge tank with 1/2" I.D. plumbing to achieve good volume. Starting pressure was 120 PSI and was 90 when it was all said and done with for each horn. Reversed bells faced the garage with bounced the sound around enough to balance it out.

Enjoy! Cool

Attachments:
RS-5TRRO.wav [4.97 MB]
Downloaded 211 times
K-5LAR24.wav [3.21 MB]
Downloaded 320 times

Post subject: Re: A couple of recordings K-5LAR24 and RS-5TRRO
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 pm 
Board Supporter

Location: Pennsylvania-down along the ex Reading Co. main line
Nice brassy sounding S5T. Love that classic Leslie 5 bite Cool

I would love to see some pictures.

-zach

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 pm 

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm 

My favorite is the RS5TRRO! And that is one scary looking avatar! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm 

Jprime990 wrote:
My favorite is the RS5TRRO! And that is one scary looking avatar! Shocked

Thanks! Very Happy for the source of my avatar (spoof of the 1-800 contacts MY BRAND! commercial)
The RRO is definitely the beast. I really like the N&W RFs with the full orifice openings and bell reversal as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 pm 

What was the designation of the Santa Fe bell arrangement for the S-5's on its passenger F's. I know it was non-standard but haven't seen one that has been preserved or restored to original. I know they sure sounded great.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:35 am 

Both horns sound great Aaron. You scored big time with that YN1 RRO.

exrock8o wrote:
What was the designation of the Santa Fe bell arrangement for the S-5's on its passenger F's. I know it was non-standard but haven't seen one that has been preserved or restored to original. I know they sure sounded great.

I believe Eric Marks has or had an original ATSF S5T. They usually had the 37 and 44 bells reversed on one side of the manifold. I suppose its designation could probably be S5TRRO, even though the Leslie "standard" RRO configuration is just as Aaron's RS5T is configured. A lot of CSX's RROs were reconfigured with various 31/44 reversals and they seemed to still be called RROs by most collectors.

UP also used a different configuration of the 37/44 reversal with the 25/31 bells on the outside, 55 in the middle and 37/44 reversed up top. I restored a 74 S5TR and put it together in that configuration. I imagine SF's S5s probably sounded about the same.