Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/shipho5/public_html/hwb/common.php on line 88
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 809: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 884: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 884: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:88)
The Horn and Whistle Board • View topic - LESLIE A 200 AND WABCO E-2 BLOWING ON AS LITTLE AS 100 PSI

The Horn and Whistle Board

It's all about air horns and steam whistles!
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LESLIE A 200 AND WABCO E-2 BLOWING ON AS LITTLE AS 100 PSI
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 pm 
Banned

you hear a lot about psi to blow your leslie a-200s or wabco e-2s and what a airhog they our.i have three leslie a-200s and two wabco e-2s i can get mine to blow on as little as 100psi on a 11gal compresser with a 1/2 hose and a ball valve and they can still be heard up to a mile away.on my 20gal tank they can be heard up to 4 miles with a 1/2 hose and ball valve.hear is the trick on e-2s remove the back cap take out the disk and take them apart. wash them in warm soapy water you have to make sure you get all the oil and grese off of each one then you have to cleen the back cap i use sos pads.cleen the inside of the back of the horn with sos pads they work best make sure you get all the grese and oil off.they have to be so clean you can eat off them. do the same on the leslies if there is no oil or grese the disk wont stick so you can blow them on less air but you have to have a 1/2inch id hose.on my 20gal tank i can get about 8 sec out of it before the compresser kicks on thats running it at 100psi

Post subject: Re: LESLIE A 200 AND WABCO E-2 BLOWING ON AS LITTLE AS 100 PSI
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:37 pm 

That is true, they are supreme air hogs! But you have independently made an important discovery: pressure is not the important thing in blowing one of these horns: volume of air flow is far more important. I can get my A200 and E2 horns to sound on as little as 30 psi (they will start to speak) as long as the air flow is not restricted. If you have any length to plumb use 3/4 in line and then neck down just prior to the horn valve to 1/2 and then into the horn base. The same is true for blowing M horns. They will speak at a pressure of 15 psi as long as a minimum of 1/2 line is used, and it is plumbed directly from the air reservoir, not through a constricting pressure regulator. Note that most pressure regulators installed on small compressors have very small orifices, and are not made for high air flow applications. You will always have much better results going directly from your air receiver to your horn valve and horn setup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:45 pm 
Banned

mike a frend of mine wants to have his p5s rebord for a different sound if you give me your phone number ill pass it on so he can talk to you thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:01 am 
Board Supporter

Boring out P horns can be dangerous.

The best way (but most difficult with lots of machining and some welding)
is to add or remove a length of the bell right down next to the mounting foot,
that is - at the base of the bell.

Adding a length will lower the note, removing a length will rise the note
on the musical scale.

Good luck and keep us posted on this project,

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:21 pm 

I'll second what Gary said. It is pretty labor intensive to retune p horns.